Thursday, June 14, 2012

Japanese Food – What Is It?




I chose this topic because I am impressed with Japanese food. It seems tasty, healthy, and beautiful.  And it is all around me, but I’ve never really thought much about it.  So now I want to explore it.
What comes to mind when I talk about Japanese food is, first of course, rice. Then seasonality; for example you eat nabemono in winter, sanma in fall, cold tofu in summer, bamboo shoots in spring, and I’ve noticed it is not like that in America. And the beautiful presentation like the arrangement on the plate, colors, dishes and utensils that go with it. And that it is said to be healthy.
To see how a food expert thinks about Japanese food, I looked at a cookbook we have in our house, Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art. The author is Shizuo Tsuji who is a chef and owner of a famous cooking school.  He says that Japanese cuisine is simple. It was born of austerity and closeness to nature and a feeling for the seasons. There are only 2 key ingredients: dashi stock (made from kelp and dried bonito) and soy sauce. There are only 2 key requirements: the ingredients must be very fresh, and the food must be presented in a beautiful way. (Well, at least I had guessed the parts about the seasonality and the beautiful presentation.) Tsuji says a typical Japanese meal is 一汁三菜  (“a soup and three main dishes”): sashimi, a grilled dish焼き物, and a simmered dish煮物, followed by rice, pickles, and tea. I never really thought of it that way even though I have lived in Japan all my life.
I searched the web for the history of Japanese food but it seems to be not clear when it started exactly. What we are sure is that rice growing started in the Jomon period. We also know that tea and some special dishes were brought from China along with Buddhism and that this has become what is called shojin ryori, vegetarian cooking which is served in temples and a typical Japanese type of food. Well, that sounds like it is more Chinese than Japanese, doesn’t it?
Actually, even if a dish is not traditional or originally made in Japan, it might be regarded as Japanese food, especially by people in other countries, because it has developed somehow in a Japanese way or with Japanese ingredients.  For example, the word omuraisu is a combination of omelette, a French word, and rice. The most common way of making it is to fry the rice and vegetables with ketchup, wrap it in a thin layer of eggs, then spread ketchup on top. Because rice may be Chinese, and omelets are made in many countries, and ketchup is probably American, Japanese regard omuraisu as a foreign food. But I definitely think that Japan is the only country that commonly eats rice with ketchup. So, omuraisu might not be entirely Japanese, but when a foreigner actually eats one they will regard it as a new food a Japanese food. Come to think of it, my aunt was a little surprised when I started frying the rice with ketchup in America.
So I have found that Japanese food is harder to distinguish from foreign food than I would have thought it was. We have used foods from other cultures, but in a special Japanese way just as we borrow words, and products, and even ideas, but change them to make them right for us.

Lilia Yamakawa

3 comments:

  1. I think your topic is very interesting! I have never thought that there are many thinkings can be lead to by Japanese food. My favourite cuisine is Japanese and I always think that Japanese food is popular that you can find it eveywhere in the world. I also think that Japanese food can be seen very different in different parts of the world. For example, when I was in Australia, the sushi that they made had totally adjusted to the Australians flavour. I have never seen that kind of sushi before I went to Australia. And this tells me that same cuisines can be very different in different places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your topic and content of Omuraisu, and you also indicated about the main ingredients and requirements to make beautiful Japanese food. Since i am studying and curious about French and its culture, this topic is very remarkable for me. I did not know about the word Omuraisu is actually come from French word, and I was also surprised that I did not know a lot about what Japanese food is. I agree your point that culture are intertwined, so it is kind of hard to separate them. I personally think this topic is really more crucial to every Japanese person than it seemed. In addition, my advice will be you should research about more food products in many different countries, so I deem you will notice many things from viewing many different perspectives of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. japanese food are interesting!! even it is just next country,, there are many differences between korea and japan. but in korea, there are bad opinion about the dish is not traditional or originally made in Japan, it might be regarded as Japanese food, especially by people in other countries, because it has developed somehow in a Japanese way or with Japanese ingredients. Since the kimuchi was introduced as japanese food in some news, most korean was so angry about that.

    ReplyDelete